Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Life since spring break and Athens :)
















Its been over two weeks since we got back from spring break and sooo much as been going on. It was nice being back in a"stable" place to call home. Im glad I dont feel homeless anymore and can find my way around the city with out a map. Because of my fear of being lost i defiantly became "map girl" for all of break. But thats ok i'd rather know where I am then end up lost in the wrong part of town?
Soo we got back from break and have been hanging out with Brit's Panos and his friends a lot. Its really cool becoming closer to Greeks in general. We taught them how to place kings or waterfall. They loved it.. except they decided to take shots instead of sips of a mixed drink. Ya a couple people defiantly didn't end up making it out of the house. Oh well.
We also celebrated stephs birthday a couple weeks ago and went to Taverna which is always a good choice :) Brits parents visited too which was nice to have "adults" around. It def made me miss my family even more. 5 weeks and counting until my mom and sister come. Its such a bitter sweet feeling. I can't wait to have then experience the most amazing place i have ever been but at the same time it means i have to go home. Sooo torn :(
Anyways back to happy things... its getting sooo much nicer out. FINALLY actually shorts weather.. even though i still get stared at by the greeks. Apparently this 70 degree weather is still jacket weather to them. I have started becoming more use to the heat.. high 60's and i have no problem wearing a sweatshirt.. never thought a girl from Minnesota would be doing that.. thats like beach weather.. haha. Anyways so last thursday we had a school barbecue. it was legit one of the first REALLY nice day and i definatly got some major color. It made me sooo happy.

So we painted on shirts and just laid out all early afternoon and and greek food for lunch. And whats better then free beer from the school before class. Yup one of the money reasons i love greece.
So last wknd we went on a school trip to Athens. Finally got to enjoy the city. It was fun and a lot different then Thessaloniki.. much more americanized. It made me appreciate living in a place that has a much stronger true greek culture.. not a place where everyone speaks english. That defiantly was a plus though.. the greeks in Athens LOVED when we would speak greek to them.. I'm sure the average tourist there only does speak english or their native language. Either way it was a good time. Friday we spent the evening at the beach across from our hotel.. some people decided to swim but it was WAY to cold for me to handle. That night me and Laura J went to a taverna and got some titziki and greek salad. We also met we thought to be a "greek pimp" i mean he was rocking a baby blue leather jacket and he was like 60. Balllerrr!!!
Anyways so he and his other 60 year old friend decided we needed to have wine with our dinner instead of water.. we weren't arguing but they were funny old men and made me thing of my grandpa (not in the pimp sense though) :)
Saturday we got to be the average tourist and went to the original Olympic stadium which was all marble and pretty sweet. We then went to the acropolis and saw the Parthenon and other buildings. It was nice having a tour guide to tell us about all the history. Visited a couple other places and have lunch.. then it was free time. Laura J, Amelia, and I ended up wondering threw the flee market area. We literally stopped in like EVERY store and made friends with all the owners. It was a ton of fun. Then we went to the new acropolis museum to "learn" and see the original sculptures. The top floor was my favorite because it was made as a replica of the Parthenon itself and had the original outside stone work around it. Hard to explain but REALLY sweet to see.
Sunday was probably the best day of my lifee. Laura, Amelia, my roommate Laura, chad, and I got up REAL early and took a train to the Corinth Canal to go bungy jumping. The guys that were in charge of it were so chill and cool. It was defiantly the most crazy thing i have done and i loved every minute of it. I miss that adrenaline you get from doing such scary and thrilling things. I was like 3rd one of us to go and it was the wildest feeling standing at the edge of the platform looking out and just 2 TALL walls and water 250ft down. Then they count back from 5 and its just you JUMP!! it was so wild i felt like i was flying. and then you feel the rope holding you before you hit the water and realize your not going to die. You swing back and forth and its just a crazyy ride. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!
This past week has been pretty chill. Trying to catch up on school work and enjoy life. We went to the cd release for Funky Monkey last night which was pretty fun. Not my usual taste in music all the time and it was SOO loud i still feel deaf but i defiantly enjoyed my time. Busy weekend ahead so I guess next week I'll have much to talk about. Peace and Love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment